This is my first custom Joe. It didn't really require any sculpting, but there was a lot of cutting, gluing, and painting. I had a lot of figures I didn't particularly want anymore, and rather than just have them take up space in a closet I thought I would utilize them for a custom.
I was kind of challenging myself to stay away from traditional Firefly parts, so I avoided any Firefly accessories and tried to stay away from body pieces used in other Firefly figures. I ended up using the lower arms and lower torso from the Resolute Trooper (which has been used on a couple of Fireflies), so I didn't totally succeed.
I chose the Hazard-Viper torso because I liked the arms, but it ended up being a bad idea thanks to the pencil neck, bright orange color, and large leg holes to accommodate his baggy pants. Still, since I liked the arms I went with it. I had to replace the lower arms because the paint wouldn't stick to the elbow joints, and the scarf hides the pencil neck well.
I always liked the chest holsters on the Joe Vs. Cobra and Valor Vs. Venom Firefly, so I included them here. I also liked the goggles of the Sideshow 1:6 scale figure (and Sgt. Hacker's Firefly disguise) so I included some round goggles. I also used the SpyTroops gear as inspiration for the color scheme.
Here's a complete parts list:
- Head - Shockblast
- Upper Torso/Upper Arms - Hazard-Viper
- Lower Torso/Lower Arms - Resolute Cobra Trooper
- Hands - City Strike Snake-Eyes
- Legs - Pit Commando
- Vest/Webgear - Pit Commando
- Chest Holsters - Shockblast
- Vest Pouches - Shockblast, Hazard-Viper, Resolute Trooper
- Vest Grenades - Viper
- Scarf - Resolute Comic Pack Pilot Destro
- Knee Pads - Pit Commando Vest (originally shoulder pads)
- Leg Canisters/Grenades - Shockblast
- Goggles - Star Wars Sandstorm Luke Skywalker + Shockblast gasmask (to extend strap)
- Pistols - Hazard-Viper
- Rifle - Pit Commando
- Gas Tank - Bravo Team military 1:18 scale figure + peg from City Strike Snake Eyes backpack
- Bolt Cutters - Bravo Team military 1:18 scale figure
(You can see more pictures on Flickr.)