In today's review of Comic Pack 10, yo said Mara Jade was the most popular character to come out of the Expanded Universe, or if not that, then she was at least in the top five. So who else would be in that top five? Here, in no particular order:
- Mara Jade: she was Emperor Palpatine's personal agent, operating in secret around the galaxy. That really came around and bit her in the ass when Palpatine died and no one knew who she was.
- Darth Revan: yes, the jaw-less Darth Malak is okay, too, but getting to control the fate of this Knights of the Old Republic protagonist bumps him up over his NPC apprentice.
- Aayla Secura: as the only EU character to "graduate" to the movies, this blue Twi'lek was almost guaranteed a spot on the list (Coruscant made the leap, too, but a planet isn't a character).
- Quinlan Vos: the most popular white guy with dreadlocks since Korn came out, he only got more popular after joining the cast of Stargate: Atlantis as Ronon Dex. Okay, not really.
- Kyle Katarn: the Chuck Norris of the Star Wars Universe, Kyle was the first-person star of 1995's Dark Forces, one of the first SW videogames to be "not terrible," the highest accolade available at the time.
Honorable mention to Shadows of the Empire's Prince Xizor, who was one of the few new characters introduced in that project who wasn't an obvious stand-in for someone else. He was more vicious than Vader, more of a gangster than Jabba the Hutt, and nearly managed to seduce Leia while Han was a frozen block of metal.
So that's one Top Five list - what's yours?